Class 323F 2-Cylinder Passenger Locomotive
Designed by Frihdrik Tešlov
Built in 1947 by Henschel & Sohn, Kassel, Germany
the Second World War, as part of his programme for rebuilding the RSR's
locomotive stock, Tešlov saw the need for a medium passenger
to replace the remnants of several older classes which had survived the
hostilities, many of them damaged or badly run down. The 323F combined
a new, all-welded boiler, cast chassis with integral cylinders and
devices for reducing servicing time (and costs), such as fully
lubrication, Franklin automatic hornblock wedges, rocking grate,
smokebox and firetube cleaning gear. The new engines entered service
1947 and 1948 and prompted a rapid revival of RSR passenger services.
was trouble at first with the automatic lubrication, which led to an
rate of hot-boxes and knocking big-ends. Some oiling was done by hand
that, much after the fashion of the Norfolk and Western.
In 1957 the entire
class was extensively rebuilt with tapered boilers, boxpok wheels and poppet
valve gear, becoming class 323FF.
Text and graphics © Norman Clubb 2012