Class 423BC 2-Cylinder Goods Tank
Designed by Bela Šahlmeti
Developed in 1923 from class 423BB
by RSR Works, Bevice-Akohniçe, Ruhnia
Although the 423BB 2-8-0s had proved themselves to be useful and powerful locomotives, Bela Šahlmeti felt that a tank version would be better suited to branch line work. Hence the 423BCs, of which ten were produced. The engines were employed mostly in the southern highlands, the cross-country route from Čahne Karelu to Tormu being their particular home territory. In late 1944, one of these engines fell into partisan hands and was used to destroy the viaduct at Gelodre on the back-door route between Forihv and Tormu. This act of sabotage caused a big setback for the occupying Nazi forces and was a contributing factor in the 1945 liberation. The last 423BC was withdrawn in 1952.