Class D5A 2-Cylinder
Designed by Karel Belčamin
Rebuilt from Class D5 in 1913 by RSR Works, Bevice-Akohniçe, Ruhnia
By the end of the first decade of the 20th century, the D5 2-8-0s, although free-running engines with good tracking qualities, were having increasing difficulty coping with the growing demands of the RSR's goods traffic. Belčamin's solution was to apply the by now well-proven boiler of the E1 and C13 to 20 of these engines, at the same time replacing the tandem compound cylinders of some with 2-cylinder simple drive. The larger boilers rather upset the weight distribution, with the leading axle ending up carrying almost 19 tonnes. After a number of derailments and complaints from the engineers' department about spread track, the D5As had to be restricted to slow local workings and shunting, the original D5s being left to share the load of the D8s, E1s and DD2s. The problem of a fast goods locomotive was not, in the event, solved until after the First World War, when the magnificent D6A took to the rails.
Text and graphics © Norman Clubb 2012