Class B13A 4-Cylinder
Passenger Tank Locomotive
Designed by Karel Belčamin
Rebuilt from Class B13 in 1913 by RSR Works, Bevice-Akohniçe, Ruhnia
The class C10 2-6-2Ts of 1909, although much more powerful than their predecessors, suffered from indifferent running qualities and were considered hard on the track. The old B13 of 1900, however, ran very smoothly indeed. The boiler of Belčamin's new 4-4-0s had turned out to be an excellent steam generator and was tried out one of the old 4-4-2Ts. The result was astounding. In rebuilt condition, the B13A, as it was now known, could outrun a C10 with all but the heaviest loads, and more economically into the bargain. The rest of the class followed through the works in short order. Their crews took to them at once and many a tear was shed when one of these fine engines had to make way for a more modern design. Their last stronghold, the cross-country line between Martihpe and Null, via Pachlo Chabost and Dämenova, was finally conquered by Rodnivacek's 423Es of 1954.
Text and graphics © Norman Clubb 2012