E1 2-Cylinder Goods Locomotive
Designed by Karel Belčamin
Built in 1911 by Richard Hartmann, Chemnitz, Germany
Although the 0-8-0s of 1910 had acquitted themselves very well, a need was still felt for something bigger, especially for the Forihv-Kropčahne line. The result was the 0-10-0 depicted here. One locomotive was delivered by Hartmann, of Chemnitz, in 1911. Following trials, which included climbing the notorious Rovniebera bank, the design was modified in one or two details and another 29 engines were placed in service by late 1912. The E1s were renowned for their smooth riding, even when due for overhaul, and the free-steaming boiler made them very popular with the footplatemen. A goods train lacks the glamour of the crack express and the same goes for the engines. It was therefore inevitable that the brasswork should soon disappear under a layer of verdigris and grime and end up being painted over. In pristine condition, however, an E1 was a sight for sore eyes.
Text and graphics © Norman Clubb 2012