C6 4-Cylinder Passenger Locomotive
Designed by Karel Belčamin
Built in 1900 by August Borsig, Berlin, Germany
Technically, this almost archaic-looking locomotive bears an uncanny family resemblance to the B12 of 1894. The reason is easily understood. Belčamin's first 4-6-0, the class C4 of 1896, was a flop and so, despite the success of the the tandem compound C5 of 1897, a return was made to the 4-cylinder simple all-in-line layout of the B12. This was indicative of Belčamin's indecision as to the best mechanical layout. Superheating was applied to later examples, but this engine, like its older cousin, used saturated steam. Well-liked by their crews, but often considered temperamental (especially when shy of steam for no apparent reason), these engines took care of medium-range passenger traffic well into the 1930s. One locomotive, no. C6-14, which distinguished itself by climbing Rovniebera bank at 60 km/h with 180 tons in tow, was preserved on withdrawal and now stands in the Museum of Science and Technology in Bevice.
The first engine of the class, No. C6-01, aroused much interest at the Paris Exhibition of 1900 and was painted in red livery for the event.
Another of the class was painted up for the 1902 Quincentenary of the St. Carolus University in Dämenova. The almost garish blue of the college's banner seems somewhat less suitable for a railway locomotive.